Developed by CAMBA Housing Ventures, Inc., CAMBA Gardens is a LEED Platinum, permanent, affordable and supportive housing development. Situated on the campus of Kings County Hospital Center in East Flatbush, CAMBA Gardens will provide tenants with healthy indoor air quality, energy-efficient units, expansive green space, community rooms and 24-hour security. CAMBA Gardens includes a mix of one-, two- and three-bedroom units featuring Energy-Star appliances and is designed to achieve NYSERDA's energy-efficiency standards. Each building at CAMBA Gardens will have a live-in super.
The CAMBA Gardens project is a national model demonstrating a partnership between a public hospital, non-profit community developer, a social service provider and community stakeholders to redevelop underutilized hospital property into much needed affordable and sustainable housing. CAMBA Gardens is a sustainable neighborhood asset that connects tenants with healthcare, public transportation, local retail, and creates revenue for surrounding area businesses.
CAMBA Gardens is being constructed through the Supportive Housing Loan Program of the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), the Federal New Issue Bond Program from the New York State Housing Finance Agency (HFA), the Brooklyn Borough President—Reso A Funding, the New York State Homeless Housing and Assistance Program, the Federal Home Loan Bank of NY Affordable Housing Program, the New York City Council—Reso A Funding, NYSERDA, TD Bank—Credit Enhancement, and Low Income Housing Tax Credits—Syndicated by Enterprise Community Partners. The size, rent and targeted income distribution for the 61 apartments are as follows:
| * Subject to occupancy criteria.
** Includes heat and hot water. Tenant pays electricity.
*** Income guidelines subject to change.
Qualified applicants will be required to meet income and family size guidelines and additional selection criteria. To request an application, mail self-addressed envelope to: CAMBA Gardens, P.O. Box 1166, New York, NY 10039. Completed applications must be returned by regular mail only (no priority, certified, registered, express, oversize or overnight mail will be accepted) to a post office box number that will be listed on the application, and must be postmarked by July 12, 2013. Applications may also be downloaded here. Applications postmarked after July 12, 2013 will be set aside for possible future consideration. Applications will be selected by a lottery; applicants who submit more than one application will be disqualified. Disqualified applications will not be accepted. Eligible households that include persons with mobility impairments will receive preference for 5% of the units; eligible households that include persons with visual and/or hearing impairments will receive preference for 2% of the units. Current and eligible residents of Brooklyn Community Boards 9 and 17 will receive preference for 50% of the units. Eligible City of New York Municipal Employees will receive preference for 5% of units. King’s County Hospital Center employees will receive preference for 15% of the units and applicants who can document displacement by Hurricane Sandy and/or its related storms will receive preference for 10% of the units.
CAMBA Gardens Amenities
|• Healthy indoor air quality, with low-VOC sealants
– LEED Platinum
– NYSERDA Multi-Family Performance Program
– Enterprise Green Communities
• Energy Star appliances, lighting fixtures and ceiling
• Increased insulation and Low-E windows to reduce
tenants utility costs
• Landscaped streetscape
• Landscaped rear yard, including children’s play
|• Landscaped side yards, including gardening plots
• Landscaped 5th floor roof terrace
• Local art to be featured throughout development
• 24/7 front desk attendant
• Live-in super
• On-site laundry
• On-site services provided by CAMBA
• Multipurpose and computer rooms
• Apartments pre-wired for Verizon Fios and/or
• CAMBA Housing Ventures, Inc.
• Harden Van Arnam Architects, PLLC
• Bruno Frustaci Contracting, Inc.
• A. Larovere Consulting, LLC
• Extraordinary Building Consultants, LLC
• Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
• Hirschen Singer & Epstein LLP
• WinnResidential (718-285-9439)
CAMBA Gardens Press Links
• The Wave
• Ditmas Park Corner Blog
• Wall Street Journal
• CAMBA Gardens Groundbreaking Press Release
CAMBA Gardens Supported By
• Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
• Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz
• Council Member Mathieu Eugene, District 40
• Council Member Darlene Mealy, District 41
• Senator Charles E. Schumer, New York
• Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, New York
• Rep. Yvette D. Clarke (NY-11)
• New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation
• Kings County Hospital Center
• Kings County Community Advisory Board
• Brooklyn Community Board 9
• Brooklyn Community Foundation
Financing Provided By